NEW: Seán O Nualláin’s new book One Magisterium
hailed as a “masterpiece” in a review by Stuart Kauffman
Seminars have recommenced
— a weekly event starting December 14, 2014 —
Sundays, 3:00 p.m., at Omni Commons, 4799 Shattuck, Berkeley
The Foundations of Mind Conference
Thursday, March 6 & Friday, March 7, 2014
International House •
University of California at Berkeley
2299 Piedmont Ave., Berkeley, CA 94720
• Front Desk: (510) 642-9490 •
We thank all speakers, attendees, and volunteers for their wonderful
participation in this landmark conference, which was a great success.
Access to the recording of the March 2014 conference is included in
for our new Consciousness Course. The course resumes January 5, 2015.
The world’s top scholars and neuroscientists discussed
cutting-edge issues related to
cognition and consciousness. Topics included:
- Does quantum mechanics have a role in our consciousness?
- Can brain imaging in fMRI explain all that we are?
- What is ecological consciousness?
Confirmed plenary speakers / panelists included:
- Walter Freeman III (UC Berkeley)
- Stuart Kauffman (University of Vermont)
- Kathryn Blockmond Laskie (George Mason University)
- Henry Stapp (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, UC Berkeley)
- Ed Vul (UC San Diego)
- Jacob Needleman (San Francisco State University)
- Jerome Feldman (International Computer Science Institute — UC Berkeley)
- Robert Campbell (Clemson University)
Ellen Thomson (Florida International University)
Let Talmy (University of Buffalo)
José Acacio de Barros (SFSU / Stanford University)
Seán Ó Nualláin (University of Ireland)
Fr. Robert Spitzer (Magis Institute)
Tony Bell (UC Berkeley)
Stanley Klein (UC Berkeley)
Carlos Montemayor (SFSU)
… and more (see Schedule)
The world’s leading cognitive scientists and consciousness scholars took part in this unique event as mind and consciousness were explored. The perspectives taken ranged from why the really hard problems like machine vision and translation have not yet been solved to whether a suitably reconstructed notion of consciousness that takes quantum mechanics into account can help save the environment.
NEW! Proceedings of the Foundations of Mind Conference are now available free on the e-journal Cosmos and History.
They will later be issued by Cambridge Scholars Publishing as a book.
Copyright © 2014 University of Ireland • site by your attention, please! communications